Search

Sunday 4 November 2012

A bit of an update - Diving

My last post was quite a long time ago. Ultimately I reached what I thought was my final destination, the Philippines. I realise now, it was just the beginning. A lot has happened. Let's go back.

The Province of Negros Oriental is where I ended up at the end of 2010, smack bang in the middle of the Philippines. Knowing I wanted to train as a Diving Instructor, I chose this area because my boyfriend's (at the time) cousin and his wife built a beautiful resort, www.atmosphereresorts.com . His wife is a PADI Course Director - meaning for those of you who may not know, she can teach you to become a Diving Instructor. And that's what she did to me.

Yes, the cost of getting to this stage is high and some suggest PADI training, www.padi.com , in the early stages of diver qualifications misses out certain essential skills and other things. In my small opinion, whatever you think about PADI, the Instructor Development Course (IDC) and subsequent 2-day examination (IE) is the most grounding training experience you can undertake, aside maybe from training to be astronaut. Ok, a little exaggeration there but really. In this, PADI has done it right. It takes people from all walks of life, brings them together, breaks them down individually, builds them back up and spews out highly competent diving professionals (apart from a few rogues here and there). Lawyers, doctors, bankers, gardeners, students, artists, young, old, rich, poor, happy, sad - nowhere else can you meet such a mix of people who think they're ready, think they've experienced it all and know how to do it better. However much training you've had in whatever area of work, the IDC resets the wires, teaches you how to think and for some, well for most, breaks you. I have achieved quite a lot academically but nothing I have done prior to or subsequently compares to the moment when my examiner shook my hand and said, "Yes, you've done it - welcome to the club", leaving me weeping like a baby.  Yes, I spent 5 years of my life gaining a PhD and yes, I cried when I was awarded it, but that was just 5 years of misery spilling out in one go. This emotion was much, much more exciting. The course taught me so much, especially about myself, and gave me a skill and experience set that I will no doubt use for the rest of my life.

There is something about the IDC that brings you very close to your classmates. Once it's all over, the friends that you have made will be yours forever because what you've shared together leaves you with an intangible link. Only they can know how this experience can change you, forever. Every Instructor I've met has that same look in their eye. I'm not a fan of clubs but I am part of one nonetheless.



I was very lucky to be given the opportunity to work at Atmosphere as an Instructor, which I did full time for nearly 2 years and worked up to the level of being a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer and for a brief time, Dive Centre Manager. Working in a resort as an Instructor is a hard job, both physically and mentally. Very few days off, and very little time to yourself. However, the people you meet, the experiences you have both in and out of the water I don't think you can get anywhere else. I love, seriously love, the team of Filipinos I worked with during this time. They made every day fun. Even on the hardest of days when you're so tired you can hardly speak. They made me smile and giggle, and they are why I love the Philippines.


Teaching people to dive is a fantastic and fulfilling experience, and I remember nearly every student I've ever had. Taking someone under the water for the first time who never thought they could do it is a special thing. It's not all rosey though...... heat exhaustion, vomit in the face, working 8 weeks straight, no Christmas Day and diving with an upset stomach to name a few but mostly it's awesome. The coast I worked along is very famous for macro diving, and it is AMAZING. If you ever want tips about dive sites along the Dauin coast, and even round the Philippines, I can certainly recommend a few incredible spots. I think later on I will write something about where to dive in the Philippines, as there is just so much special stuff to see here!



If you are thinking about doing your IDC in the Philippines or elsewhere, I would be more than happy to help as much as I can. Certainly if you want the best level of training and standards, amazing diving and an overall fantastic experience I would heartily recommend Atmosphere. 


There is definitely more to catch up on....... a special event in my life took place in May 2011. I'll do that next :)










No comments: