Search

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Kungur to Yekaterinburg

So I left Kungur yesterday after having patiently sat at the railway station for approximately 4 hours. Even thought the "moscow time" thing at the train stations would seem obvious when your tickets have the time you thought was moscow time as local time, it opens up a whole world of confusion.

So a number of interesting interactions occured whilst I was sat on the platform burning my face in the sun - including a drunk man running across the train tracks in front of a train with the police chasing him batons raised and a father burning his childs finger with a cigarette (what is it about Russians smoking near children? I have never heard a child scream as loudly). As it happens I also added to the melee, in that earlier I had bought a mobile telephone (as I have been so desperate to speak to someone, anyone over the last few days I thought now was the time to do it!) and called Simon immediately weeping when he answered. The Russians thought I was mental. Which was great because they left me alone. My number is +7 982 487 8223 - if anyone fancies texting or calling then do but please leave your name as I have no numbers!

Food wise yesterday the Stalagmit reached new heights of grimness and breakfast included a cold carrot/potato slice (almost like bubble but with no squeak or salt). So while at the train station I went to a cafe to buy a pie, which unusually just ended up with me having a staring match with the lady behind the counter (she would answer nothing I said in Russian and just kept staring at me with the most outrageously ugly look on her face).This, along with Kungur, sent me over the edge and before I knew it I was standing in this cafe smiling manically at this woman saying "you're a miserable person aren't you?" [please note terminology used here has been slightly modified for reasons of a parental nature] - obviously I didn't leave the establishment with any sort of food consumable but would have happily eaten my hat rather than go back in to that witch's lair. It takes all sorts I guess.

Safely got on the train, and was in carriage with a fat old Russian lady (no English) who when I explained I was English she immediately started offering me food (sausage, sausage and more sausage). Yet again the Train Russians come out on top - I think they are a special breed. Like the Littlest Hobo, always ready to help a fellow traveller ("there's a voice, that keeps on calling me, down the road that's where I'll always be, every stop I make, I make a new friend, can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again. Maybe tomorrow I'll wanna settle down, until tomorrow I'll just keep moving on"). I loved that show. I'm going to sing it for the rest of the trip, maybe I will rename myself.

So I reached Yekaterinburg yesterday, and made it to my hostel - which isn't in the same league as the others I have stayed in but it has a bed and a shower which is all I need. I met another solo female traveller called Femke, a teacher from Holland - she was lovely and we went out for a beer but spent ages and ages looking for somewhere, in the end going to a place where we immediately got accosted by some drunk Russian men, so left. Femke left this morning, so I am back on my own.


I've spent today wandering around the city, trying to organise an excursion into the Ural countryside. What a faffage. It's done though and the day after tomorrow I will finally get to see some proper country. As for the rest of today and tomorrow, I am going to eat Pizza, look at some minerals and meteors, do some washing and drink at an Irish bar called Kilkenny's (only because that is Carol's name!). Sweet.

As an update, Ian has gone AWOL.

3 comments:

cow from UCL said...

Em, just had to tell you I'm addicted to this blog! It's fantastico! You're a natural. Can I even write a comment on this without registering etc? Not sure, see how this goes anyway. Bit worried about the fact you're not eating well and also getting into cars with odd blokes, but apart from that you sound like you're doing amazingly out there, well done you..am very impressed and proud. take care for now and looking fwd to the next post.
Rxx

Emma said...

Cow from UCL! ha! glad you like it Ranbir :) It's all good here - although you have your up and down days! Have had a good feed today, so the belly is getting bigger again :) keep in touch, e x

David Willoughby said...

Hi Em,
fabulous Blog very interesting if at times a little scary.I am proud of what you are doing daughter of mine.
Keep trucking Babe, thinking of you,
Love
Dad