Search

Friday 9 July 2010

Das ist sub optimal


So yesterday I walked from the Hauptbahnhof to Kreuzburg where I am staying and went past the Brandenburg Tor, the Wall (and I later found out Hitler's bunker which I didn't know at the time). Kreuzburg is an odd place... really down to earth and relaxed but at the same time has a bit of an edge to it. I went to the Berlin Museum of Modern Art...
The other museums looked good too but I didn't want to pay any more money for them so didn't go. Today, I am heading off on the train at 3pm so for a number of reasons I am unable to do anything else - 1, being time, 2 being hungover and 3 it being 36 degrees outside (so wrong). I hope to god the train has air conditioning, but I won't hold my breath.

So last night I went to meet Ray and his girlfriend (and then later some of their friends). Both were lovely and it was great to catch up with Ray...... reminiscing is fun. Ray even remembered some of the jokes we made up "why was mismatch pregnant?", and who could forget Nic Translation?
We initially went to a outdoor pub with a BBQ (no we didn't eat, much to my stomachs displeasure), which was lovely. Right by the river. And then later went and met up with their friends at a bar in an industrial estate with sand on the floor, where I met the grumpiest German man in world. Seriously. He used a phrase I actually didn't think I would hear uttered from anybodies lips other than Martin Tuffs - DAS IST SUB OPTIMAL (which is how I am feeling this morning). Also on the sub optimal front, I had my water bottle stolen... one less thing to carry I guess.
The aim for today is to have the wurst kind of sausage...... Berlin's choicest dish is curried wurst - baiscally wurst covered in tomato ketchup and sprinkled with curry powder. Ray said it was dreadful so I may give it a miss :)

Next blog will be from Russia - wish me luck on the 2 day train journey....


1 comment:

The East End Dog Walker said...

YO. I love it. Das ist sub optimal. I had a bad memory of life with Mrs McAllister in German classes.......VILE.
That was a good image with the pint of beer, but will you tell me as soon as you have a large meal!! FOR GODS SAKE EMMA..........xxxx